One of the biggest things in the way of Dreaming is the identification we have formed with our mind. We believe that what it’s saying is a reflection of who we are and even if we manage to shift out of one or two of the stories it’s telling we still have the unconscious belief that the mind IS WHO WE ARE. But there is more of you. In fact, when you start to explore it you will find many different experiences underneath the thinking mind.
In the last episode about Dreaming, we covered what it is and how you move from the unconscious to the conscious Dreamer. In this episode, Gary van Warmerdam and I continue our conversation and share stories about our own early Dreaming experiences and some simple things you can do to grow your own Dreaming skills.
Listen to episode 17 about growing your Dreaming skills here:
Seven ways to practice Dreaming
Examples of how you can grow your Dreaming skills in your everyday life:
- Read science fiction or fantasy books. Stories that describe a different world and have your mind dream up images of unknown places and possibilities.
- Remind yourself by asking the question: “Am I Dreaming?” or say the statement: “I am Dreaming” or “My mind is Dreaming”.
- Remind yourself by saying: “I am something much more strange and formless than I imagine myself to be. Whatever my mind is imagining me to be, I am not that.”
- Explore the answer to the question: Am I (do I exist) when I’m not thinking?
- Practice sensing what your body is feeling. (Which is tapping into the direct experience of the dream of your physical body, without the layers of the thinking mind on top.)
- Meditate and practice connecting with yourself as consciousness, directing your attention on the Dreamer instead of the dream your mind is dreaming.
- Join Beyond the Mind. My online Dreaming journey into consciousness.
If you want to practice your Dreaming skills and experience yourself outside your thinking mind, the doors to my online dreaming journey Beyond the Mind are open for a few more days. They close on May 10th when we set out on our 20-week journey together. You’ll learn the skills of dreaming with powerful meditation practices. To experience yourself beyond your mind, at the core of you. With your heart, with your body, and with yourself as consciousness.