The Self Mastery work takes off in the understanding of how your mind works, how beliefs are formed and brings you into the observer of your thoughts and reactions. But the real shifts won’t start happening until you truly get in touch with your emotions and learn how to feel them.
In the coming four episodes we’ll explore that process of moving from your head into your heart, from the mind into your body and what kind of resistance might show up along the way. Let’s start with painting the big picture of how accessing your emotions is the key to changing your beliefs.
Listen to it here:
Here’s a summary of what I cover in the episode:
Ways that beliefs get created:
- repetition over time
- lived truths (things that people in your family/society/species take for granted and live by)
- together with a strong emotional imprint
To shift beliefs that were installed with a strong emotion, you need to access the emotion it was created with.
We have also created beliefs ABOUT having emotions.
“It’s not safe”
“I’ll make other’s angry or uncomfortable”
“I won’t be heard so there’s no use in sharing them (cause it will hurt to be rejected)”
Instead we end up using a lot of power keeping a protective structure in place to not have us feel or express emotions.
When we instead set out to get more in touch with them and feel them, what we might come up against is: resistance.
Resistance might look like:
- Anger or other protection emotions
When you understand what the protection mechanisms that are keeping you from getting in touch with your emotions are doing, and why it’s there, it’s easier to navigate and also be present with IT.
When you start getting in touch with emotions and feeling in your body, start small. Practice noticing:
- The difference between sensing and thinking
- How your body is feeling throughout the day
- Being with less strong emotions, to begin with
Once you have gotten more comfortable with these skills it’s going to get a lot easier to sit calmly in the waves of bigger emotions.
I give a brief background on how we've learned to relate to our emotions and how you can practice a new way of being present with them.
1. Create an account in the Self Mastery Community (if you don't already have one)
2. Watch the 'How to: Being with what is' workshop video by clicking here